Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thursday and a good question

One of my wonderful commentors, Mama Kat said... What exactly IS PDD-NOS? Well I am still learning myself. I found this wonderful blog to help explain it "Understanding Autism"

I can't say that I totally get it yet. For me it's just another diagnosis which means they really don't know what exactly is wrong and this is a best guess again. There is an interesting online test you can do for your child to see if they meet the PDD-NOS criteria, you can find it here .

It's all confusing and frustrating, I have this little innocent grandchild who was exposed to a multitude of drugs inutero, it took the hospital 59 days of PICU to detox all of it out of his system. I don't know if them not allowing him to be held during this process of detox caused it or if it's due to all the drugs he was exposed to while inutero or if it's because it's just how God created him.

Somedays I have a ton of anger towards his parent's, my son and Timmy's birth mom, some days I am just so sad for all of them. Timmy is getting to the age where he is asking more and more about why his parents aren't around and why he doesn't live with his sister and it's getting harder and harder to satisfy him with the easy answers like "Your parents couldn't take care of you and they knew I could so since they love you they had you live with me". Now when I say that standard line to him he says "why couldn't they take care of me? am I bad? don't the love me? why can't I live with my sister when my friends all live with their sisters?

Ok this is too serious today and I need to end it with something else.

Last night I picked Timmy up from his second day of after school care. He tells me "Mom, I met a girl and she is so HOT", so me being me says to him"Timmy, it's not appropriate to call a little girl Hot, you can say she is beautiful or cute" Timmy responds to me with "Mom, how come my penis grows when I like a girl" OMG, he is 7 years old, I almost wrecked the car from this one. So I avoided a direct answer and will defer to one of his uncles for this answer!! Any suggestions on the penis growing answer will be greatly appreciated!!

3 comments:

br8eyes said...

Wow! First, my comment about the parent thing...my suggestion is (in case you haven't done it already) to tell him something along the lines of "they loved you so much, they knew I would take better care of you" and I feel you could even tell him something like "they weren't ready to take care of a baby yet." I had to explain why my oldest's father wasn't around to him when he was young like your Timmy and these are the things I told him (I didn't EVER speak ill of my Tim's father around, within earshot of my Tim and when his father decided, 12 years later that he wanted to get to know him - my Tim said, "No Mom, you have done it all my life. I haven't needed him so far, I don't need him now." Now, I also realize that he may change his mind in the future and I have reassured him that I will support him 100% when/if he decides to do so).
As far as the penis thing...I had to have a sex talk (not graphic) with my Tim when he was 5 because of what someone at his summer camp told him, which is in no case like your, but you could tell him that boys and girls body's work differently and that when a boy is physically attracted to a girl, this is what happens. In my opinion, although it may not be a comfortable subject with you (or even with me and my Tim), it's better to "act" like it's no big thing so that he will continue to communicate with you. Since Tim started inquiring about sex, I made it like it was sort of casual conversation and put the air that it didn't bother me to talk about it. Now, at 16, my Tim talks to me about just about everything, even contemplating having sex with his girlfriend.
These are just my thoughts...my prayers are with you!

Nana said...

God bless you!!!!!! I have a nephew w/ assburgers ( i think thats how you spell it) I know what you mean w/ the questions. My youngest daughter would bring me to my knees w/ some of her questions. She was in kindergarten!! Merry Christmas and keep up the good work!!!!!!!

Tara Bennett said...

My eyes just popped out of my head when I read that! I can't believe he said it! At least he feels comfortable talking to you about it! I agree, though, an uncle will definitely be able to explain it better. Oye! ;O)