Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The right medication to help my boy,,,

We have been through multiple hospitalizations, medications, doctors, psychologists, neurologists, geneticists, homeopaths and therapists the last few years. During our quest to find something that will help Timmy with his day to day struggle of anxiety, mood swings and hyperactivity I think we have tried every medication known to man, well at least the ones I agreed to try. His last hospitalization one of his medications was changed and due to that change he seemed to be doing way better. The problem is that this particular medication causes the stomach to feel as if it is never full. He actually gained 15 lbs in a 6 week period. There are other issues with this medication, it seems to bring out diabetes and other sugar related issues. Due to these side effects I spoke with the doctor and we decided to try something else that has much fewer side effects. Well all of the sudden I am seeing the aggressive miserable child again. So the dilemma is do I allow the side effects and put him back on the medication that was helping him or do we again go through and try to find something else that does help him? The other issue is I don't think there are many medications left to try. Oh and for you non-medicators, Timmy can't make it without meds, he is miserable, aggressive and bouncing off the walls. I have tried the whole homeopathic route and that didn't work either.

3 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

I have no advice, I only want to tell you that Tim is so lucky to have you on his side! I think the key is to just keep trying, no matter what. That's what's best.

I hope you have yourself a Merry little Christmas!

Thanks for supporting kidz.

Tara

Nana said...

I know you are having a tought time. I watch my brother w/ his son. It seems my brother is the only one who can keep Jake under control. It's too bad Jake's parents are divorced because it's chaos at mom's house. I don't think anyone can judge you for using meds. Sometimes that is the only way to to. I know Jake is on a med that makes him want to eat all the time but, it HELPS. Keep your chin up and Happy Hanukah/Christmas!!

br8eyes said...

You are being a better Mom than a lot of biological mothers out there. You are taking care of him and being his advocate when nobody else would/could. Kudos to you for that! As far as meds are concerned, if they work, then let them work. You can always fill his belly with milk or fruit and vegetables or yogurt due to the side effects. It's always ok to try new meds because sometimes people become immune to those meds that used to work so well from taking them so much. Depends on the person. Any med is going to have side effects, sometimes the benefit outways the risks. You will find your answer. Keep holding on and know that you are in my thoughts.
Happy holidays!