Friday, February 5, 2010

I am bring Timmy home again..

I have been fighting for over 2 months (my recent battle) to get Timmy the help he needs while he is still young. I have visited RTC's in New Jersey and I am sad to say the population they serve is not for children on the Autism Spectrum. That means the staff is not trained properly to work with these special children nor do they even understand it. The places I have seen were dark, dirty, depressing and not a place I would ever choose to place him. Instead with promises of limited supports I am bringing him home on Monday. It's a really wacky system we have here in NJ. They haven't even begun services yet they are already telling me we will be losing some of them in 45 days. You see it isn't about what Timmy needs to succeed, it's about a numbers game. They are not very happy with me, I have filed a grievance against the Department of Behavioral Health in NJ. There are not following their own published policies, so I filed a formal grievance. I hope for them I receive the response I have been promised. They have 5 days which is up tomorrow. There are laws that protect special needs children and fortunately there are some great groups out there that I will reach out to. I hate to say I will have to sue the State of New Jersey to get them to follow their own documented polices but I may have to. I am not giving up on Timmy or myself!

No comments: